Barcelona in January
With the arrival of 2015, a new year begins and as usual the sales are right around the corner. Although images of people waiting in line for the department stores to open seem to disappearing these days, we can still witness some surprising scenes… For example, a famous brand of clothing launched a ‘Semi-naked party’. The idea is go shopping almost naked and to keep all you can wear for free!
From the 7th of January to 6th of March discounts will go up to 70% in Catalunia. But hey, it’s not all about the sales, read on about the best events in Barcelona for the month of January and come enjoy them with Nightswapping!
A little football and tapas
Because games are meant to be watched in stadiums or bars, we have selected a few of the best pubs in town to enjoy the Elche – FC Barcelona match coming up this Thursday at 10pm. Whether you are an ardent fan or just a curious amateur, come enjoy the game, people and good spirit.
- The Black Lion: the oldest in town. As said in its slogan, this English pub is one of the oldest in the city. Theere is a great atmosphere, a long list of domestic and foreign beers as well as amazing burgers.
- La taverna Barcelona. Ideal for devoted Catalan football fans, enjoy national beers and tapas while singing the Barça’s anthem.
- This bar is suitable for both lovers of football and those not so interested as it features big screens to watch the games but also pool tables and superb cocktails.
- 7 sins. With a relaxed atmosphere, you can enjoy the football game with a good gin and tonic.
- This is another ideal bar for watching the game on Sunday with English and Spanish commentators as well as games and activities for those less interested by the game. International cuisine.
- Ryan’s. Located in the Gothic Quarter, this bar has a good atmosphere and lets you choose from cocktails, shots and sangria at very affordable prices. Three floors await you to watch the game in a friendly atmosphere.
- The George Payne. Nine giant screens, non stop kitchen and buckets of beer at a good price. This is definitely one of the best pubs according to the locals. Very neat and spacious décor.
Sebastiâo Salgado (8/2/1944) is a Brazilian photographer specialized in social documentary photography. He has worked on several continents and for prestigious agencies such as Gamma and Magnum before creating his own agency Amazonas Images in 1994. His work has received awards on numerous occasions and is noted for displaying the faces of disadvantaged people and places touched by poverty, misery and pollution.
The exhibition “Genesis” which takes place in the CaixaForum Barcelona until February 8 is a a true declaration of love to nature and Mother Earth. This collection invites us to protect and care for all those remote and distant places where man has not yet arrived.
For those who love cinema, the preparation of this work gave birth to another genesis, a documentary film co-directed by Wim Wenders and Salgado’s own son, Juliano Ribeiro Salgado, entitled Salt of the Earth. Watch the trailer
Festival of San Antonio Abab y la Cabalgata “Els Tres Tombs”
The festival of San Antonio Abab, better known as the patron saint of animals, is on the 17th of January and is the occasion for one of Spain’s largest festival of the winter season. One of the rituals associated with this festival, is the blessing of the animals. Hundreds of people will take their pets and working animals to be blessed and protected from diseases and wild animals.
Another popular celebration in Barcelona and in other cities of Catalonia is the ceremony of “Els Tres Tombs”. This ancient ritual which has become a traditional parade and carnival with lots of history. This procession will be held on the 24th of January at 10:30 am at the intersection of Calàbria and Floridablanca. There will be no shortage of animals, sweets, local products and 17 riders that will lead the parade to the Plaza St Jaume. See the entire program (in Spanish)
Travel to Barcelona without paying for accommodation
Want to go shopping and attend these events in the Catalonian capital? Take a look at our available hosts and stay for free in Barcelona!