December has arrived and few know how to celebrate like Berlin! With the many Christmas markets set up all over town and the variety of Christmas concerts lined up, the holiday spirit is all around. If you afocused on art, the Zeughausmesse Decorative Arts Fair is in town as well as the more intimate Affordable Art Market. And for those in Berlin for this New Year’s Eve, get ready to celebrate 2015 in style! Let’s take a closer look…
Our favorite Christmas markets
There are many great Christmas markets in Berlin, here is a selection of our favorites.
- Christmas Market at the Schloss Charlottenburg offers a great view of the Charlottensburg palace while you shop for hand made decorations and traditional home made sweets. Open from Monday to Sunday and from 2pm to 10pm until the 28th of December.
- Christmas Market at Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche will help you find the right present for the right person. Have a hot cup of cocoa and look for the big Christmas tree if you are in search of traditional gifts. Open from Monday to Sunday and from 11am to 9/10pm until 01/01/15
- Christmas Magic at Gendarmenmarkt is situated between the French Cathedral Französischer Dom and the German one Deutscher Dom and is one of the most animated markets. Enjoy the show, music and acrobats from Monday to Sunday and from 11am to 10pm until the 31st of December.
A selection of Christmas concerts
The stage is set and the Christmas concerts are about to begin. Here are a few to choose from :
- KÖPENICK PALACE : concert with harp . Enjoy classical Christmas music with a Harp at one of Berlin’ historical palace . December 14th , 4pm at Schloss Köpenick
- BODEMUSEUM Berlin concert series. Discover the recently renovated museum on Friday 19rh, 4pm at the Bode-Museum
- Baroque Christmas Gala. The Barock Orchestra Berlin will present Bach, Vivaldi, and Albinoni on December 23rd, 8pm at the Philharmonie Berlin
Zeughausmesse – Decorative Arts Fair
The Zeughausmesse is one of most important art fairs for contemporary applied art. It represents a real opportunity for designers and artists to showcase their work. The art fair even has it’s own « Ingenious Creation » competition. It takes place on December 11-14th at Unter den Linden 2, 10117 Berlin.
Affordable Art Market
A much more intimate art event is the Affordable Art Market showcasing the work over 20 artists. The Affordable Art Market takes place on 3 seperate occasions, December 3-10-17 showcasing new artists each time and based at the Tete art gallery on Schönhauser allee 161A, 10435
Celebrate NYE at the Brandenburg Gate
Will you be in Berlin for NYE?
If you are, prepare to celebrate! Berlin has many special events taking place to end 2014 in style. Over one million visitors will be celebrating the new year together at the Brandenburg Gate on December 31st. Live music and entertainment will be on the menu. Learn more
Want to join the party? Stay at a Nightswapper’s place
Find all the Nightswappers in Berlin